Today is a big milestone for me, as this marks a big milestone in the biggest personal project I've undertaken.
My book '[Why Cryptocurrencies?][whycrypto]' is released in print today! It's my attempt to explain what cryptocurrencies are and what problems they solve, in a simple and approachable manner.
I've been working on the book in the open [on GitHub][src] and [the first recorded commit][1commit] is from Dec 19, 2018, with a chapter outline. 1237 commits later, and a bunch of work outside that, and the book is now Done™. (Only a year after my [blog post saying it was done][done]...)
If you want to check it out, you can [read it online for free][online] or you can [buy] it from wherever you buy your books.
I need to check the formating for the eBook, so it looks ok on as many platforms as possible. And then work on my [self-hosted payment processor][bitpal], which I'll use to sell the eBook on my site for crypto. (I'll be sure to make it available on various eBook platforms too.)
I'm planning to write a couple of blog posts detailing how I made the book and some lessons or tips I have for aspiring writers:
- [How I made an online book with Lisp][pollen].
- [How I worked with a designer to create the cover][cover].
- How I did the interior layout for my self-published book. (planned)
- Converting my online book to epub. (planned)
- Writing lessons learned after writing a book. (planned)
- I self-published a book---was it worth it? (planned)
After that, I can finally archive the book project as done and focus on the next big thing (maybe continue working on the payment processor?).