I changed to remote after having trouble getting balance and transactions to show (still not seeing what I was expecting: should be at least a few XMR and multiple transactions, but it shows zero balance and no transactions). In the process, I manually started monerod.exe even though it said syncing was done (balance still zero) but now I have TWO data.mdb files at almost 100GB each.
I changed to remote node but it still is doing some synchronizing or something. it says "Daemon is synchronized" but above that it's still doing some "wallet blocks remaining". However, it no longer says waiting for sync or whatever the message was up in the balance box and the balance still shows zero.
So I'm dealing with two fronts: retrieving disk space and trying to get an accurate balance and transactions.