♥️ SCI is in a Gitcoin round, donate to Gridcoin & BOINC and have your donation matched 20x! ♥️
The Science Commons Initiative is a 501(c)(3) non-profit dedicated to rebuilding the bridge of trust and participation between the public and science. We primarily support two projects: BOINC and Gridcoin. If you have ever considered donating to either project, this is without question the best way to make an impact. We are currently in a Gitcoin funding round, and due to its quadratic funding model, your donation will be matched up to 20x. Even a $1 donation can turn into $20. $20 into several hundred, etc. Even a $1 donation will help increase the match amount for other donations we receive. For those of you who have donated in previous rounds and put up with the kinks in the donation system, THANK YOU and you should know that Gitcoin is easier to use than last time around.
To donate: watch our easy step-by-step video. The only way to donate is with crypto, which you can buy at an exchange like Coinbase or Kraken. If you have any questions, please reach out, we want to make this process as easy as possible for you. If you are already familiar with Gitcoin, here is our donation page on Gitcoin.
What do we do with your money? 100% of your donation will go to our programs reconnecting the public with science. Here's a few of the things we've been doing, subscribe to our once-a-month newsletter to stay up to date:
- We post public bounties for improvements to Gridcoin and BOINC with over $1,000 in bounties currently posted. We funded the creation of the Folding @ home adapter, making it the first non-BOINC project to be integrated into Gridcoin.
- We helped sponsor the DeSci section at ETH Denver, which brought together hundreds of people in the DeSci space to discuss and plan ways for web3 technology to improve access to and engagement in science.
- We do online and offline promotions for BOINC, including creating a design package that anybody can use to promote BOINC. We made business cards for each project to help them recruit volunteers. Our promotions have reached tens of thousands of people over the past few months.
- Produced high quality BOINC installation videos with professional voiceovers
- Provide hosting infrastructure to BOINC Radio
- Setup an online store so you can buy t-shirts, mugs, and other items with the logos of your favourite BOINC projects. Proceeds benefit SCI and the projects themselves.
- Our board is all volunteer so there's no money spent on staff overhead
- Provide a place for those who are passionate about BOINC to contribute their time, energy, and money directly towards development and increasing BOINC's impact. Lots of our work is meetings, collaboration, and getting together different people in the BOINC ecosystem. This is powerful work that makes a big impact, and several new projects have already come out of it.
- Bringing BOINC into high schools and universities via crunching competitions and educational materials about distributed computing
- Additional features and fixes for BOINC and Gridcoin
- Promotion campaign among research scientists to introduce them to BOINC (hello new BOINC projects!)