fresh install of Daedalus not syncing to mainnet - DNS change solved this for me
I set up a new PC (Windows 10) and had a lot of trouble getting Daedalus (4.0.5) syncing with the mainnet. I tried a lot of things like
* restarting the node
* restarting the PC
* restarting the router
* checking if Daedalus is blocked in the windows firewall
* Uninstalling Daedalus (including all connected folders) and reinstalling
* Waiting (multiple hours, but nothing changed)
* contacting IOHK
Nothing helped, I still got no connection to the mainnet. Everything else was fine (Cardano node was responding, cardano node time was correct, system time was in sync).
**Finally I got it running by changing my DNS.** When setting up my network I gave my PC a static IP, but I didnt do anything in the DNS section of my ethernet connections. In the TCP/IPv4 I only set the numbers for IP, Subnet and Gateway but left the DNS field blank, since I had no idea what to put there. Everything else worked (browsing, gaming, etc) so I didnt think this could be a problem.
After the problem with the syncing persisted I changed the DNS server to [188.8.131.52](https://184.108.40.206) and two seconds later Daedalus started syncing.
Maybe this will help someone in the future, I was really desperate and it gave me a massive headache for a few hours.